This kuzhambu is light and at the same time quite filling. The perfect combination for this kuzhambu is raw banana fry and fried gram thuvaiyal. This kuzhambu has a smooth texture and a lovely pale green colour. Make sure to choose a big, firm brinjals for this recipe.The small onions, green chillies and asafoetodia powder give a consistent flavour to the entire dish so please don't avoid those ingredients. Make sure to use fresh brinjals for this kuzhambu because the refrigerated or old brinjal skin gets tough and it is not getting roasted completely. If the brinjals are not roasted well, it won't give a dense puree that makes it ideal for the kuzhambu. If you follow these simple steps and try this recipe definitely it will be truly satisfying kuzhambu. Let's see how how to prepare this Brinjal Kothsu with step by step photos.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- 4 green or purple brinjals
- 1 medium lemon sized tamarind
- 20 small onions
- 5 green chillies
- 6 dried red chillies
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 15 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp asafoetdia water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp gingelly oil
1. Peel the onions and chop them finely. Slit the green chillies and cut into small pieces. Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes and extract the juice with 1.5 cups of water.
2. Wash the brinjals and wipe it with a towel. Cut them in half lengthwise.
Heat 2 tsp of gingelly oil in a pan and add the brinjals.
Reduce the heat to medium and roast the brinjals about 7 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
3.Now transfer it to a plate and allow them to cool. Then peel the skins carefully.
4. Add the roasted brinjals in a small chutney jar and grind until smooth.
5. Then transfer the brinjal puree to the tamarind extract and mix them well. Add the required salt and turmeric powder to this mixture.
6. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and add the fenugreek, broken red chillies, mustard and urid dal. When the urid dal turns golden brown add the chopped small onions and green chillies.Saute it well until the onions turn golden brown.Now add these to the tamarind mixture. Bring to a boil.
7. This is the time to add the asafoetdia water and curry leaves. Cook for another few minutes and switch off the flame. Taste and adjust the salt if required.
8. Serve it hot with boiled rice with appalam, raw banana fry and fried gram thuvaiyal.
For fried gram thuvaiyal
1/4 cup fried gram, 1 red chilly, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp coconut and salt. Add all the ingredients in a mixer jar and powder them nicely. Then transfer it to the bowl add some water and mix it to a thick paste. Tasty fried gram thuvaiyal is ready. You can also add green chilly.
If you try this recipe for Brinjal Kothsu send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.
Similar kuzhambu recipes @virundhombal
|Mint leaves pulikuzhambu|
|Curry leaves karakuzhambu|
|Puli illa kuzahmbu|