Today we are going to see an interesting street style vegetable fried rice with simple cooking techniques. For the past twenty years, vegetable fried rice and pani puri have been a favourite food for many of us. Everywhere we can see, these two dishes are the stars of the street food. One day during our trip to Tirumala, I learnt this street style vegetable fried rice from a street food vendor. He prepared varieties of fried rice within a few minutes, very casually. As he was preparing, I saw exactly how it was done. There's something magical about eating hot fried rice on the streets.The sound of the street vendors tossing the tang tang with their wok is always enjoyable to me.
How to make street style vegetable fried rice in your home kitchen
You can use basmati rice or long grain rice. Always prefer the open pot method to cook the rice for fried rice. The texture will be perfect with less stickiness. Brands such as Unity and India Gate are perfect for fried rice.
You can use sunflower oil or any vegetable oil.
A tablespoon of finely chopped garlic and ginger add plenty of aroma to the rice. So please do not omit these two ingredients.
You don't need to add a lot of vegetables for fried rice. Just a small will do good. The carrot adds a little sweetness, capsicum and spring onions add colour and crunch, shredded cabbage gives a mild flavour and chewy texture. You can either use regular onion or spring onion white parts.
Soy sauce and white vinegar for its umami flavour. I added both these ingredients mildly. A little of each to add finishing touch to the rice. Add according to your taste buds.
To season the fried rice, use a combination of salt, black or white pepper, chilli powder and garamasala powder. A dash of chili powder and garamasala powder add both colour and flavour to this street style fried rice.
There are almost different variations for fried rice. You can make it by changing the vegetables, seasonings and proteins like paneer or scrambled egg. The most important thing about making fried rice is that the cooked rice should be cold without any moisture. Now let's see how to prepare this Street style vegetable fried rice with step-by-step instructions.
Similar Rice Dishes
- Coriander leaves and Tomato Pulav
- Paneer Kofta Biryani
- Tomato Rice
- Carrot Rice
- Kuska (Plain Biryani)
- Beetroot Biryani
- Baby corn Pulav
- Coconut Milk Rice
- Baby corn and Capsicum Pulav
- Vegetable Pulav
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Mushroom Biryani
- Sweet Corn and Paneer Pulav
- Easy Vegetable Biryani
- Spicy Tomato Rice
- Vegetable Brinji
Here is the video link for Street Style Vegetable Fried Rice
Street Style Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe Details
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cook time : 10 minutes
Serves : 3
Category : rice varieties
- 1 cup basmati rice or long grain rice
- 5 cup water
- 1/8 cup sliced onion
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced capsicum
- 1/8 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 tbsp spring onion white parts
- 1/4 cup spring onion leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp garamasala powder salt to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- Measure and take the rice in a vessel. Rinse it well for 3 times. Boil 5 cups of water in a wide vessel. Add the rice. Add required salt and cook the rice uncovered on medium heat. Keep checking the rice while cooking. Cook rice for 9 to 11 minutes. When they are done, immediately drain the rice to a colander.
- Then transfer the rice to a wide plate and cool down for 1 to 2 hours. Don't skip this resting period. If you skip it, your fried rice will be sticky.
- Heat a kadai or wok on medium heat with 3 tablespoons of oil. Once hot, add chopped garlic and ginger. After a few seconds, add the spring onion white parts and sliced onion. Saute well and add the carrot, capsicum and cabbage. Add salt and stir. Do not cook for more than a minute because you will lose the crispy texture of the veggies in the fried rice.
- Now reduce the heat to low and add the cooled rice. Add pepper powder, soya sauce, vinegar, chilly powder and garamasala powder. Add some chopped spring onion greens and now increase the heat to high. Toss the rice well for a few minutes on high heat and until the seasonings are mixed well with the rice. Turn off the heat and add the remaining spring onions. Street style vegetable fried rice is ready to serve.