Mixed vegetable rice with step by step photo and video. Quick one pot rice within 30 minutes. Apart from kootanchoru and thuvaram paruppu sadham we make this mixed vegetable rice for weekend lunch and family get togethers.
During our childhood days, my Karthi mama makes this rice for dinner and always one of our favourite rice dishes for our whole family. During his bachelor days in Delhi, they prepared this rice frequently with whatever vegetables available in their kitchen. Making of this vegetable rice doesn't involve any grinding or soaking and bachelor's can easily cook this rice. When it comes to any rice with dals, it must be slightly mushy with soft texture. But I do not like mushy rice, so I have reduced the amount of water. You can change it according to your preference. Allow the rice to cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or pressure cook for 2 whistles. Cooking time may vary depending on the quality of the rice and the pressure cooker.
To make this healthy one pot rice these are the main ingredients you will need
1. Carrots, beans, and peas - The classic combination of these three vegetables makes this rice colourful and tasty. You can add more vegetables like potatoes, cabbage, brinjal, sweet corn if you like. Adding a combination of vegetables make it a balanced meal.
2. Toor dal and moong dal - this rice won't taste good without these two dals. Without these two dals, the rice will taste like tomato rice with vegetables.
3. Garlic and ginger - these two ingredients add aroma and taste to this dish. No need to grind it, just chop it finely. If you are cooking this rice during fasting days, skip the garlic.
4. Ghee - any rice dishes, be it a pulao, biryani or any variety rice, would taste better with the addition of ghee.
5. Lemon - this rice won't be complete without lemon juice. Lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves are added and mixed well with the rice.
Before going to the recipe, I forgot to mention which rice is best for this rice. I always make this rice with regular ponni (boiled) rice. You can also cook with jeeraga samba rice, sona masuri rice or any other millets like saamai and varagu will taste good.
This mixed vegetable rice tastes so good without any side dishes. I suggest to serve it with garlic pickle or mango ginger pickle and papad.
Similar Rice Dishes
- Coriander leaves and Tomato Pulav
- Paneer Kofta Biryani
- Tomato Rice
- Carrot Rice
- Kuska (Plain Biryani)
- Beetroot Biryani
- Baby corn Pulav
- Coconut Milk Rice
- Baby corn and Capsicum Pulav
- Vegetable Pulav
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Mushroom Biryani
- Sweet Corn and Paneer Pulav
- Easy Vegetable Biryani
- Spicy Tomato Rice
- Vegetable Brinji
Mixed Vegetable Rice with Dal Recipe Details
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Serves : 5
Category : rice varieties
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 1 cup ponni (boiled) rice
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 onion
- 2 green chilly
- 2 tomato
- 1 carrot
- 7 beans
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 potato (optional)
- 1/2 cup cabbage
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- few coriander leaves
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
Chop the vegetables with required size and soak the dried green peas in hot water for 2 hours and keep it ready. If you are using frozen vegetables, allow them to thaw before adding it to the pressure cooker. Take rice in a bowl and rinse 2 times in water.
Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker. Once hot, add the cumin. When it sizzles, add the chopped garlic and ginger.
When you get a nice aroma, add the onions along with the green chillies. Saute until it turns soft and add the tomatoes.
Allow the pressure to settle down naturally and then open the lid. Now add ghee, lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and mix well with a ladle.