An interestingly unique side dish for any breads and rice.You can also use this thokku as a base to prepare tomato rice, tomato poha upma or tomato idiyappam. Enjoy this spicy, tangy and tasty thokku.
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 200 g
- 1/2 kg red ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp thick tamarind extract
- 1/2 tbsp red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tbsp powdered jaggery
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 5 tbsp gingelly oil
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces. Dry roast the fenugreek and powder it.
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai and heat the oil . Now add the mustard seeds and urid dal. When it splutters add the curry leaves.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes.Saute them for 5 to 7 mins. The juices will be separated from the tomatoes. Now add the tamarind extract and salt.
- Mix them nicely and cook on low flame. After 2 mins, add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and allow the tomatoes to cook completely.
- Cook them until all the water gets evaporated. Finally, add the jaggery powder, asafoetdia powder and fenugreek powder. Let them cook it for a couple of minutes and transfer it in a glass bowl or glass bottle. Serve it with chapathi, curd rice and dosas.