Samba aval sweet pongal - easy to make sweet pongal with red thick samba aval, jaggery and ghee. We usually make sweet pongal with raw rice and millets. A few months ago, my Grandma prepared this samba aval pongal for kadaisi velli pooja (every Tamil month last Friday is called kadaisi velli). It turned out very well and easy too. We can also make this pongal with white thick aval too. This is the best neivedyam for festivals. This pongal tastes good with thick aval rather than the thin aval. So make sure to use either samba thick aval or white thick aval. The colour of the sweet pongal depends upon the type of aval and jaggery you use. Roasting the aval in ghee will give a unique flavour for the pongal. Since we are using thick samba aval, make sure to cook the aval nicely and then add the jaggery syrup to it. The making process of this aval sweet pongal is quite similar to aval with jaggery, but they tastes different. Although the process looks quite simple, there are some simple mistakes we make when cooking aval dishes. Following are some of the tips to help you to avoid mistakes.
1. The cooking time for aval actually depends upon on the thickness of the aval you use. If you are using white thick aval add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of aval. For thick samba red aval, use 2.5 cups of water for 1 cup of water.
2. Bring the water to boil, before adding the aval is very important for the texture. Close and cook until it is soft.
3. If the aval doesn't cook properly, it gets hard. After adding the jaggery syrup, cook until it gets incorporated well with the aval. Do not cook for a long time because it tastes chewy after cooling down.
Checkout my other recipes with Aval
- Onion Aval (Poha) Upma
- Vegetable Aval (Poha) Upma
- Coconut Milk Tomato Aval Upma
- Aval (Poha) Payasam
- Aval(Poha) ladoo
- Aval (Poha) with Jaggery and Coconut
- Aval (Poha) with Palm Jaggery
- Aval Varatiyathu
Similar Prasadam recipes
- Maa Vilakku
- Aval Payasam
- Rice Payasam
- Moong dal Payasam
- Brown rice Sweet Pongal
- Green gram Sweet Sundal
- Sarkkarai Pongal - Sweet Pongal
- Paal Payasam - Milk Kheer
Samba Aval Sarkkarai Pongal Recipe Details
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : sweet
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 1 cup thick samba aval (red rice flakes)
- 1.5 cups jaggery
- 2.5 cup water
- 8 cashew nuts
- few dry grapes
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 4 tbsp ghee
1. Heat a heavy bottomed kadai and add 2 tbsp ghee. Add cashew nuts and dry grapes and roast well on medium heat. When cashew nuts start to turn brown, add the thick samba aval and roast well until you get a nice aroma. When it puffs up, transfer it to a plate.
2. In the same kadai, add 2.5 cups water. Bring the water to boil.
3. When the water boils, add the roasted ingredients and reduce the heat. Close and cook the aval for 10 minutes or until it absorbs the water completely.
4. In the meantime, measure and add the jaggery in a vessel. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 minutes. When the jaggery has dissolved well turn off the heat and keep it ready to add.
5. When the aval has cooked well, strain the jaggery syrup to it and mix well. Mix the aval well with the jaggery and continue to cook on low heat for 10 to minutes.
6. Now add cardamom powder and mix well. Add ghee in regular intervals and cook. Stir in between to avoid sticking in the bottom.
7. When the ghee starts to separate on the sides of the pongal turn off the heat and transfer it to the serving dish.
8. Delicious Samba Aval Sweet Pongal is ready to serve.
Post a Comment