Tomato Arisi Upma recipe with full video and step by step pictures. Arisi upma is one of my family's favourite tiffin dishes. It's a delicious, healthy tiffin that never fails.
My husband always insists me to add extra vegetables and flavours for any upma dishes. Actually, I thought of preparing regular arisi upma for breakfast and he gave me this idea to try upma with tomato flavour. Arisi Upma is a classic rice based upma dish with different variations across South India. The rice rava is usually prepared with rice and dals. Additionally, you can add black pepper and cumin when grinding the rava but I haven't tried it yet. Here's what you need to prepare this arisi upma.
1. Ponni Raw Rice - the base of this arisi upma is rice, it's a must to use good quality rice. I usually use ponni raw rice to prepare rava for arisi upma. You may also use a combination of both idli rice and raw rice. For tomato arisi upma I used ponni raw rice and it tasted excellent.
2. Chana dal and toor dal - I used 1/8 cup toor dal and 1/8 cup chana dal for this recipe. You can also skip either chana dal or toor dal and adjust accordingly to your grinding methods.
3. Gingely oil - our upma dishes wouldn't taste good without gingely oil. So I strongly recommend not to skip this gingely oil.
4. Tomato - just grind two to three tomatoes and saute well with the onions. It tastes good with red ripe tomatoes.
5. More flavours - aside from green chillies and ginger I have included sambar powder for this upma. You can also add a teaspoon of garamasala powder instead of sambar powder. If you are adding garamasala powder just add 2 mint leaves while grinding tomatoes.
Check out my other tiffin recipes here
- Black urid dal Dosa
- Aapam - Aapam without yeast
- Ragi flour Upma
- Arisi Upma
- Bottlegourd Adai
- Pepper dosa - Milagu Adai
- Rava Upma
- Semiya Upma
- Rava Dosa
- Ven Pongal
- Saamai Ven Pongal
- Foxtail millet Ven Pongal
- Kaikuthal Arisi Ven Pongal - Hand Pound Rice Ven Pongal
Tomato Arisi Upma - Tomato Rice Upma Recipe Details
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : tiffin
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 1 cup ponni raw rice
- 1/8 cup toor dal
- 1/8 cup chana dal
- 20 small onions
- 3 green chilly
- 2 dried red chilly
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sambar powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp urid dal
- few curry leaves
- few coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup + 4 tbsp gingely oil
Take a big mixer jar and add the rice and dals and powder them. Scrape the flour and then powder them. It should be like nicer than idly rava.
Take a small chutney jar and grind the tomatoes smoothly without any water. Chop small onions, green chillies and ginger.
Heat 1/4 cup gingely oil in a broad kadai for about 2 minutes. Add mustard and urid dal. Allow them to crackle and add chana dal & 1 broken red chilly . When chana dal turns golden brown, add the chopped green chillies & chopped ginger.
When the onion turns golden brown add the ground tomato paste.
Stir and saute well on medium heat. Add turmeric powder and sambar powder. Mix well.
To this add 2.5 cups water and allow the water to boil. Add required salt and asafoetida powder.
When it boils well reduce the flame and add the powdered rava. Now no need to stir it. Allow them to cook for a few minutes. Close and cook for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, gently mix them and stir it continuously till the upma thickens.
Now again add 4 tbsp gingely oil and stir it. Again close and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat. Give it a few stirs in clockwise direction and add chopped coriander leaves. Once again stir well and transfer it to the serving dish.
Serve tomato arisi upma immediately with coconut chutney.
Post a Comment