Ragi Upma (Upma with finger millet flour)
Ragi upma with step by step pictures
Ragi upma is a healthy and easy breakfast recipe. It is one of my favourite recipe with ragi flour. My grandma used to add drumstick leaves in this upma. Small onions and grated coconuts add taste to this upma and you have to add some good amount of gingelly oil so that it won't get lumpy. Serve this upma with chutney or pickles.
Cook time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Serves : 2
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 cup chopped small onions
- 2 dry red chilly
- 10 curry leaves
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 4 tbsp gingelly oil
1. Heat a heavy iron pan or kadai and add the ragi flour and rice flour. Dry roast for a few minutes or till it gets light brown. Then transfer it to the plate or bowl.
2. Next, add 4 tbsp gingelly oil. When the oil is heated enough, add the mustard and urid dal. Allow it to crackle and add the split red chillies and chopped onions. Saute it till the onions are fried well. Now add curry leaves and 1.5 cups of water. Add the required salt.
3. When it starts boiling, add the roasted flour and keep it as it is. No need to stir now. After 3 minutes, stir it continuously and rapidly with the ladle. You have to stir it well.
4. When the flours are incorporated well with the onions, add the grated coconut and switch off the flame. Once again stir it well with the ladle for a few more minutes and transfer it to the serving dish.
If you try this recipe for ragi upma send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.