Brinjal Chutney / Kathirikkai thuvaiyal is a tasty chutney dish, generally made as a side dish for idli and dosa. My mother makes this brinjal chutney often and yesterday only I called her to get the recipe details. Before that I haven't tried this method yet and today I followed the method without any tweaks and it was tasty with suda suda idli. As my husband bought a huge pack of brinjals, he suggests me to prepare this chutney. Before going to the recipe I will the share the important tips my mom shared with me for this thuvaiyal.
1. Depending on what kind of brinjals you are cooking, you may adjust the roasting techniques. If you are cooking with smaller brinjals, it will cook faster. If you are using larger brinjals, it will take a long time to roast. When roasting the brinjals, make sure to add the correct amount of oil because if it will be difficult to peel the skin. Check the brinjal flesh is soft by inserting a knife in the middle to make sure it's roasted throughout. Otherwise, cook for another few minutes longer. After roasting brinjals, gently peel the skins with your index finger and thumb finger.
2. The addition of roasted urid dal to chutneys makes it very special because of its unique flavour, but do not add more and your chutney will turn smooth.
3. I suggest to use small onions and compounded asafoetida rather than the big onions and asafoetida powder. Do not increase the garlic because the garlic flavour will strengthen after grinding. Just 3 to 5 garlic cloves is enough and if you are using big garlic cloves just add one garlic clove.
4. Do not replace tamarind with tomato as the tangy taste of tamarind is necessary for the brinjals dishes. Finally, the grinding methods. Do not combine all the ingredients at the same time for grinding. First grind the roasted red chillies, salt and soaked tamarind. Then add the roasted onions and garlic cloves. Next, add the brinjals and asafoetida.In the final stage, add the roasted urid dal and grind it to a semi fine consistency.
Here is the video for Brinjal Chutney
Checkout my other chutney recipes
- Coconut Garlic Green Chilly Chutney
- Tomato chutney
- Tomato chutney with green chillies
- Small onion chutney with black urid dal
- Coconut chutney with red chillies
- Coconut chutney with green chillies
- Brinjal chutney with red chillies
- Onion garlic coconut chutney
- Small onion chutney
- Ridge gourd chutney
- Brinjal chutney with green chillies
Brinjal (EggPlant) Chutney - Kathirikkai Thuvaiyal Recipe Details
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Serves : 5
Category : chutney
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 10 small purple brinjals or 4 medium brinjals
- 10 to 15 small onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 red chillies
- small lemon sized tamarind
- small piece asafoetida
- 1 tsp split urid dal
- 4 tbsp gingely oil
- salt to taste
Wash brinjals in water and remove the stems. Cut them into half and immerse in a bowl filled with salted water to avoid discoloration. Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 minutes.
Heat 2 tsp oil in a kadai and add urid dal. Roast well on medium heat until it turns golden brown.
Transfer it to a plate. Add asafoetida and roast well until it pops well. Add the red chillies and roast it for a few seconds because it will turn black quickly. When it starts to turn black, immediately transfer them.
Next, add the onions and garlic cloves. Saute for a few minutes until it turns soft.
Now add 3 tbsp oil and add the brinjals. With frequent turns, roast well on medium heat till their skin turn dark brown in colour and the flesh is soft. Once the brinjals are roasted, the skin will be easy to peel with your fingers.
Transfer the roasted brinjals to the plate and allow them to cool down. Gently peel the skin and keep it ready for grinding.
Now add roasted red chillies along with the soaked tamarind and salt in a chutney jar and grind.
Next, add the onions and garlic cloves and grind. Grind using little water. Add the brinjal flesh, asafoetida and grind it. Finally, add the roasted urid dal and grind them together coarsely.
Transfer the brinjal chutney to the serving bowl. The chutney will be thick as we have added urid dal, add 2 to 4 tbsp water and mix well until desired consistency is reached. Taste the chutney and add salt if required.
Brinjal Chutney in Tamil - கத்தரிக்காய் துவையல் தமிழில்
Post a Comment