Vegetable fried rice is a favourite dish for all of us. Usually vegetable fried rice are prepared with finely chopped vegetables and seasoned with white pepper powder, vinegar, chilly sauce and MSG (ajinomotto) is added to enhance the taste.
Last year for summer vacation we went for a family trip to Nelliampathi(Kerala). There we stayed in a resort and they served us a wonderful meal for lunch. For dinner they served us a tasty vegetable fried rice with chilli paneer. The vegetable fried rice and chilli paneer were a special on that day and they were made with fresh vegetables, celeries, spring onions and a few whole black peppercorns. There is no mono sodium glutamate. The one of the best fried rice I ate in my life. There the food was fresh, flavorful and delicious. The chef was friendly and more happy to serve us a variety of their specials. He taught me how to prepare this Vegetable fried rice.
For perfect fried rice follow these simple steps.
- Do not pressure cook the rice. Always cook the rice with plenty of water and drain the water completely. Cook the rice 1 or 2 hours ahead of time.
- Blanching the beans and carrots tastes good in the rice and also it looks beautiful in the rice.
- Always use a wide pan or kadai so that you can mix them evenly.
- After adding the rice do not keep it on the kadai for long time. Stir it quickly and transfer it to the serving bowl.
- Do not add too much of vegetables, then it will change the taste of the rice.
Similar Rice Dishes
- Coriander leaves and Tomato Pulav
- Paneer Kofta Biryani
- Tomato Rice
- Carrot Rice
- Kuska (Plain Biryani)
- Beetroot Biryani
- Baby corn Pulav
- Coconut Milk Rice
- Baby corn and Capsicum Pulav
- Vegetable Pulav
- Mushroom Biryani
- Sweet Corn and Paneer Pulav
- Easy Vegetable Biryani
- Spicy Tomato Rice
- Vegetable Brinji
- Paneer Biryani
Here is the video link for Vegetable Fried Rice
Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe Details
Prep time : 30 minutes
Cook time : 10 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : rice varieties
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped spring onions whites
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup beans, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp shredded cabbage
- 1/8 cup capsicum, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp spring onion greens
- 1 tbsp celeries, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black or white pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
Wash the rice 3 to 4 times in cold water. Boil 5 cups of water in a wide vessel. Add the drained rice and cook them on medium flame.
When the rice is cooked well, drain the water completely. In a plate, spread the rice and cover it with a white cloth for 2 to 3 hours.
In the meantime, do the chopping works. (You can also add finely chopped mushrooms).
In a small vessel, boil 2 cups water and add the chopped beans and carrots. Cook them on medium heat for 2 minutes and close it with the lid for a minute and drain the water completely.
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wide pan or kadai. Add the chopped spring onion whites (scallions). Add the chopped celeries. Saute them for a few seconds. Add the sliced cabbage, chopped capsicum, blanched beans and carrots. Saute well on high heat.
Add the salt, sugar and white or black pepper powder. Mix them well and add the cooked rice. Add chopped spring onion leaves. Mix the rice gently and evenly. Check for the seasonings and add if salt or pepper powder required.
Yummy and tasty Vegetable fried rice is ready to serve. Serve it immediately. There is no MSG or any sauces. Enjoy this rice with your family. Please don't forget to add the celeries and spring onions.