Sirukeerai Thuvaram (Tropical Amarnath greens stir fry)
Siru keerai thuvaram/ Stir fry with greens
This siru keerai thuvaram is a very popular, healthy and of course tasty side dish too. In Tirunelveli, people used to say as kothikeerai for this dish.In this recipe the ground paste adds a lot of flavour to the thuvaram and cooked toor dal enhances the taste. Try this yummy thuvaram with any type of keerai. Let's see how to prepare Siru keerai thuvaram with step by step photos.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 bunch siru keerai or any keerai (greens)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped small onions
- 3 tbsp cooked toor dal
- 1 tsp chopped green chilly
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetdia powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 tbsp grated coconut
- 3 small onions
- 1 garlic
- 1 red chilly
- 1/2 tsp jeera
2. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add mustard and urid dal. When it splutters add the chopped onions and green chilly. Saute it for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add in the chopped greens and stir it continuously. Keep on low flame and cook uncovered.
4. Once the greens are reduced in volume, add the turmeric powder, salt, asafoetdia powder, cooked toor dal and ground coconut paste. Mix it nicely and keep the flame on high and stir it continuously until the water evaporates.
Serve it with sambar, rasam and all South Indian based meals.
If you try this recipe for Siru keerai thuvaram/stir fry send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.
The taste of this dish not only lies in the choice of the greens, but also on chopping the greens finely.
Take care not to overcook. Overcooking the greens can often lead to a less tasty dish.
Once it wilts, add the remaining ingredients and give it a quick stir.