Ponnangani keerai rice - a healthy and easy lunch recipe for your busy weekdays. For this dish I have used the greens which have dark green leaves with pink shade. It has many health benefits for the eye, hair and skin. These leaves are used as an important ingredient in Ayurvedic medicines for wounds, cough and diabetes. We prepare kootu and poriyal with this keerai. One day my husband told me to prepare rice with this keerai. We always include plentiful of greens in our regular cooking. To add some protein I have added sprouts in this rice. If you do not have this greens you can replace it with drumstick leaves or methi leaves. Include more greens in your diet for 3 days in a week. This rice can make you energised throughout the day. For more recipes with greens(keerai) click here for Greens(Keerai) recipes.
- Manathakkali keerai kootu
- Paruppu keerai kootu
- Siru keerai thuvaram
- Murungai keerai thuvaram
- Keerai Sambar
Ponnangani keerai rice with step by step photos
1. Remove the leaves from the stem and wash the leaves 2 to 3 times. Then hold it tightly with your palm and finely chop the leaves. Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes drain the water.
2. Heat a pan and dry roast the toor dal, cumins and red chillies. Powder them in a dry jar and keep it ready for the rice. (You can also add a tbsp of grated coconuts).
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai and add the mustard and urid dal. Allow them to crackle and add the chopped small onions and garlics. Saute until the onions turn soft. Next add the tomatoes and saute for a few minutes.
4. Add the chopped greens and saute them well. When the leaves are wilted, add the sprouts and saute for a few seconds. If you do not have sprouts add fresh green peas.
6. Add 2 cups of water and mix them well. Add the required salt, turmeric powder. Add the powdered masala. Now transfer them to the pressure cooker.