This manathakkali keerai/black night shade greens has so many health benefits and try to take this keerai frequently into your regulars. This keerai is used to treat mouth ulcer problems, relief from colds and liver ailments. You can find this greens in most markets. When buying fresh greens, look for greens with small white flowers and tiny green or black berries. Avoid purchasing the greens with big leaves and without any berries. In this recipe, I have added both the coconut paste and coconut milk. If you are not a big fan of this keerai, I will assure you will like this keerai after eating this kootu. Even kids love them too with a bowl of warm rice with a swril of ghee over the rice. If you like this method do try this recipe.
Manathakkali Keerai kootu with step by step photos.
1. Remove the leaves, flowers and small berries from the stem. Add it to a large bowl and wash the leaves 2 to 3 times in cold water.Now chop the leaves evenly. Pack it tightly with your palms and chop them.
2. Next, add the chopped greens in a deep vessel with 1/2 cup of water and cook on low flame. After 3 minutes, add the chopped tomatoes and continue to cook.
3. In the meantime, grind the coconut, green chillies and onions to a smooth paste.
4. Cook them till it reduces in volume and the leaves turn soft.When the leaves are done, add the cooked moongdal. Mix them well.
5. When the moongdals are mixed well with the greens add the ground coconut paste.Add the turmeric powder and required salt. Allow them to boil until the raw smell of cumins disappear.
6. Now gently add in the coconut milk and allow for a gentle boil and switch off the flame.Heat a small pan and add the mustard and urid dal. Allow them to crackle and add it to the kootu.
If you try this recipe for Manathakkali keerai/Black night shade greens kootu send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.
Similar keerai(greens) recipes
|Siru keerai thuvaram|
|Drumstick leaves thuvaram|
|Paruppu keerai Kootu|