Tawa Brinjal Fry - easy and tasty dish with brinjal with simple cooking methods. You can serve this as a side dish for lemon rice, tamarind rice and curd rice. Just like other roast and fry dishes this tawa brinjal fry has many variations. In this recipe, the brinjal slices are dipped in thin buttermilk and then coated with seasoned besan flour and then fried in tawa. Some versions would skip the dipping, some would also use other ingredients like rava for crispy outer layer. If you use tender brinjals with less seeds it tastes so good. My son Siva who's not a big fan of brinjal, likes this tawa brinjal fry very much. I personally enjoyed this tawa brinjal as a snack but sometimes stuffed on dosa sprinkled with chilli flakes.
- Baby Corn Fry - Fried Baby Corn
- Senaikizhangu Chops - Elephant Foot Yam Roast
- Mushroom Fry
- Cauliflower Fry
- Paneer 65
Tawa Brinjal Fry - Tawa Kathrikkai Varuval Recipe
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : side dish
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
Here is a short video for Tawa Brinjal Fry
- 10 medium brinjals
- 2 tbsp besan flour
- 1/2 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- salt to taste
- Rinse and cut the brinjals into slices. Add the brinjal slices in a bowl filled with water. You can add a teaspoon of salt to avoid discoloration.
- In a mixing bowl or plate combine all the dry ingredients one by one(besan flour, rice flour, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt) then add the garlic paste. Mix well.
- Now drain the water and keep the slices ready for dipping and coating. Next, dip each slices in the buttermilk and then coat it in the besan flour mixture on both sides. Repeat the process for the entire slices.
- Heat oil in an iron tawa or wide frying pan on medium heat and place the masala coated slices. Fry them on medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until browned well. Turn it frequently because brinjal will get burnt quickly.