Make this delicious lemon rice with fresh lemon and freshly ground masala powder for your lunch box this week. Lemon rice is one of the favourite lunch box dishes for my husband and I tried this new recipe with puliyodarai flavour. Here comes the lemon rice recipe with the flavours of puliyodarai but without any tamarind.
All you need for this rice - lemons, rice, chana dal, coriander seeds, red chillies, white sesame seeds, peanuts and the regular tempering ingredients. I learned this recipe from my Grandmother and this is one of my favourite rice varieties these days.
How to prepare the masala powder
You can prepare the masala powder well ahead of time. Just roast fenugreek, chana dal, coriander seeds, red chillies and white sesame seeds without any oil. Grind it to a fine powder. That's it. Your masala powder is ready. When needed, do the tempering procedures and add the lemon juice. Then mix the cooked rice and the masala powder. I have used white sesame seeds in this recipe, you can also use black sesame seeds.
How to prepare the rice
We usually prepare these kind of rice with ponni raw rice or regular ponni boiled rice. Recently I have been trying all the rice varieties with ponni broken boiled rice and it gives a perfect texture. For 1 cup ponni broken boiled rice add 2.75 cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. After cooking the rice please don't forget to cool the rice. Mixing hot rice makes it all mushy.
Here is the video link Lemon rice with Masala Powder
How to prepare Lemon rice with puliyodarai flavour
- 1 cup broken ponni boiled rice
- 2.75 cups water
- 1.5 lemon
- 1/2 tsp mustard and urid dal
- 1 tsp chana dal1 red chilly
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp jaggery few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 4 tbsp gingely oil
- salt to taste
To roast and powder
- 1/2 tbsp chana dal
- 1/2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 4 red chilly
1. Measure and add the rice in a bowl. Rinse the rice well and add it to a pressure cooker. Add 2.75 cups water and pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat. Allow the pressure to settle down naturally. Then open the pressure cooker and transfer the rice to a wide plate. Swril 2 tsp oil over the rice. Allow the rice to cool down for 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, heat a pan and add fenugreek. Then add chana dal coriander seeds, red chillies and white sesame seeds. Dry roast well on medium heat until you get a nice aroma. Turn off the heat and allow the roasted ingredients to cool down. Add it to a mixer jar and powder it nicely.
3. Squeeze the lemon juice in a bowl and keep it ready. Heat gingely oil in a kadai and add mustard and urid dal. Add chana dal and red chilli. When they turn golden brown add peanuts and curry leaves.
4. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida powder. Stir well immediately. Now reduce the heat and add the lemon juice. Give a quick stir and add 1/4 cup water.
5. Add the cooled rice. Add required salt and mix gently. Add the ground masala powder. Now mix well until the rice is incorporated well with the masala. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice if required.
How to get that puliyodarai flavour
The secret ingredient is the jaggery. The flavor is greatly enhanced by the addition of just a small amount of jaggery. My husband Madhav told me this secret ingredient idea and it tasted awesome.
Finally, add just 1/4 tsp jaggery and mix well. Don't add any more than that as it will alter the taste. Turn off the heat. Delicious Lemon rice with puliyodarai flavour is ready. Enjoy with potato fry, vazhaikkai fry and appalam.
Checkout my other Rice varieties
- Coriander leaves and Tomato Pulav
- Paneer Kofta Biryani
- Carrot Rice
- Kuska (Plain Biryani)
- Beetroot Biryani
- Baby corn Pulav
- Coconut Milk Rice
- Baby corn and Capsicum Pulav
- Vegetable Pulav
- Vegetable Fried Rice
- Mushroom Biryani
- Sweet Corn and Paneer Pulav
- Easy Vegetable Biryani
- Spicy Tomato Rice
- Vegetable Brinji
- Mixed Vegetable Rice with Dal
- Coconut rice
- Tamarind rice
- Lemon rice
- Tomato rice
- Raw Mango rice
- Brinjal rice
- Amla rice
- Pepper Cumin Rice
- Fenugreek Rice - Venthaya Choru & Coconut Thuvaiyal