Cauliflower fry - flavourful and crispy snack with cauliflower. This fry is a crisp fried snack made with maida, corn flour, ginger garlic paste, chilly powder, garam masala powder and lemon juice. There are different methods of making this cauliflower fry. The recipe shared here is a typical bakery style cauliflower fry which stays crisp for a longer time. You can also prepare street style Gobi fried rice with this cauliflower fries. This cauliflower fry is an amazing side dish for fried rice, biryani, pulao and also as an appetizer for parties.
Tips to make Cauliflower Fry
Cauliflower - always try to use fresh cauliflower. Try to separate equal sized florets because it helps to fry uniformly. Just immerse the cauliflower florets in salted hot water for 2 to 3 minutes and drain the water completely using a colander.
Ginger Garlic Paste - for this fry grind ginger & garlic coarsely without any water. I always use fresh ginger garlic paste and if you do not have time to grind it use crushed garlic.
Maida & Corn flour - maida flour gives you the bakery style cauliflower fries. Instead of maida, you can also use besan flour, but you won't get the same texture. Corn flour makes the fry crisp. If you do not have corn flour, replace it with rice flour, but the taste will be reduced a bit. Do not skip it.
Water - add water little by little with a spoon and then mix it. Please note if you add too much of water your cauliflower fry will be soft and not crispy. Just add enough enough until the dry ingredients bind well with the cauliflower florets. If your mixture appears watery, just add maida flour and then deep fry them.
Frying - fry the mixed cauliflower in medium hot oil. If you fry them on low heat your cauliflower fry will turn hard. Take each floret separately and then add it to the hot oil.
Check out my other Evening Snacks Recipes
- Vazhaikkai (Plantain) Bajji
- Cauliflower Fry
- Nullikai urundai - Urid dal balls
- Kara Vadai - Pattani Paruppu (Yellow Split Peas) Bonda
- Sabudana Vada - Javarisi Vadai
- Ulundha Vada
- Tapioca Bonda
- Urad dal Bonda
- Onion Pakoda
- Potato Bonda - Aloo Bonda
- Potato 65 - Aloo 65
Here is the detailed video link for Crispy cauliflower fry
Bakery Style Crispy Cauliflower Fry Recipe Details
Prep time : 20 minutes
Cook time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : starter
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 1 medium sized cauliflower
- 3/4 cup maida
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp garamasala powder
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and separate the individual florets. Boil 6 to 8 cups water in a wide vessel and add required salt and turmeric powder.
- Add the cauliflower florets and let them to sit for 2 to 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, drain the water completely. In a mixing bowl, add maida, corn flour, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala powder and required salt. Mix well. Add lemon juice. Check for the seasonings and add if anything required.
- Now add the florets little by little and mix it with the dry ingredients.
- When you add all the florets, add ginger garlic paste and mix gently. Now begin to add water with a spoon. Do not add more water because it makes the fry soft.
- The mixture should be stiff and not like bajji batter.
- In the final stage, add the remaining 1/4 cup maida and coat well with the florets. Close and keep it aside for 30 minutes.Heat oil in a kadai and add the mixed cauliflower florets gently to the hot oil one after other.
- After 2 minutes, gently turn them and fry until golden brown and crisp. Fry the entire cauliflower florets in the same method and add some fried curry leaves over the fry and serve it along with thinly sliced onions.