Mushroom Gravy with Curd recipe with full video and step by step pictures. This mushroom gravy preparation is little different from other gravies. As the name suggests this gravy is prepared using thick curd and the ground masala paste is made with onions, green chillies, garlic, ginger, poppy seeds, pepper and whole garam masala. The addition of whole garam masala cinnamon, cloves, fennel and cardamom makes the gravy aromatic. This gravy is a good variation from our usual kurma and masala. For this gravy there is no need for tomatoes, cashew nuts and red chilly powder.
This is a quick and easy gravy recipe with a few ingredients.
- Spices - you will need bay leaf, cumin, kasuri methi leaves and coriander leaves. For the masala paste onions, ginger, garlic, green chilly, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, cardamom and poppy seeds. Poppy seeds are added to give thickness for the gravy. In the final stage, half teaspoon garam masala powder is sprinkled for flavour but you omit it.
- Curd - I always use aavin curd for gravies. But any brand will taste good.
- Mushroom - this is the main ingredient for this gravy and you will need around 10 to 12 button mushrooms. The mushrooms are pre cooked and then added to the masala.
- Milk - this is completely optional ingredient because the gravy tastes good without adding milk. Just half cup of cold milk is added after the entire cooking is done. Make sure to use thick cold milk.
Check out my other Gravy Recipes
Mushroom Gravy With Curd - Mushroom Masala Recipe Details
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : side dish
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 200 grams mushroom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried kasuri methi leaves
- 1 cup thick curd
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup thick cold milk
- few coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
For masala paste
- 2 onion
- 4 green chilly
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 piece cinnamon
- 3 cardamom
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 cloves
First cook the mushrooms. Bring 2 cups water to a boil and add 1/2 tsp salt. Add the washed mushrooms and cook on medium heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
Then drain the water and allow it to cool down. Once it cools down, cut into small pieces.
Heat oil in a kadai on medium heat. Once hot, add the bay leaf and cumin. Add the ground masala paste. Stir well for a few minutes and cook till the raw smell goes off.
When it gets thick, add the mushrooms. Mix until the mushrooms are coated well with the masala.
Next, add required salt and water. Close and cook for 7 to 9 minutes, so that the mushrooms blended with the masala.
In the meantime, whisk the curd and keep it ready to add it to the masala. Open the kadai and check the mushrooms turn soft and then lower the heat and add the whisked curd. Mix immediately.
If the masala appears thick, add little water and mix well.Add dried kasuri methi leaves and mix well. Sprinkle the garam masala powder and allow the gravy to boil for 3 minutes and turn off the heat.
Add chopped fresh coriander leaves. After 5 minutes, gently add the thick cold milk and transfer the gravy to the serving dish. Instead of cold milk, you can add low fat fresh cream also. Serve this gravy with chapathi, nann or jeera rice.