Papaya pachadi is prepared with three main ingredients - ripe papaya, coconut and thick curd.
To prepare pachadi, papaya pieces are cooked along with a small piece jaggery and then simmered with ground coconut paste. The coconut paste is a blend of small onions, cumin, turmeric powder, chilly powder and mustard. This pachadi has a mix of sour and sweet taste, which is a unique taste for pachadi dishes. When the papayas are cooked well, we have to mash it gently and then simmered with the ground coconut paste. Let the pachadi cool down until it's warm and then slowly add in the curd. For this pachadi, make sure to use thick curd. The thickness of the curd depends upon the milk you use. If you are using thick full cream milk, you will get a thick creamy curd which will be perfect for pachadi dishes. Finally, temper the pachadi with mustard, red chilly and curry leaves in coconut oil which gives a nice flavour to pachadi.
You might also like
- Drumstick Raw Mango Aviyal
- Vendakka (Ladies finger) Aviyal
- Ash Gourd (Vellai Poosanikai) Aviyal
- Bitter Gourd Aviyal - Pavakkai Aviyal
- Ginger Pachadi - Inji Pachadi
- Narthangai Pachadi - Citron Pachadi
- Bitter Gourd Pachadi - Pavakkai Pachadi
- Ladies finger Pachadi - Vendakka Pachadi
- Malabar Vellaraika Pachadi
Here is a short video for Papaya Pachadi
Papaya Pachadi Recipe DetailsPrep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Serves : 4
Category : pachadi
Author : Muthulakshmi Madhavakrishnan
- 400 grams ripe papaya
- 1/2 tbsp jaggery
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp red chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 3 small onions
- 1 cup thick curd
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 1 red chilly
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Peel and cut the papaya. Gently scoop the flesh and remove the seeds. Chop them into small pieces. Put the chopped papaya in a deep vessel along with a small piece jaggery. Pour 1/2 cup water, cover and cook on medium heat till soft. Just add enough water to cook papaya.
2. Grind coconut, turmeric powder, chilly powder, small onions, cumin with little water. Then add mustard and whip it for a few seconds.
3. When the papayas are cooked well, gently mash them. Add required salt and mix well.
4. Now add the ground coconut paste to the cooked papaya and allow it to boil for a few minutes on low heat.
5. Turn off the heat and allow the pachadi to cool down.
6. Now pour the beaten thick curd to the pachadi and mix well. No need to add extra water.
7. Heat coconut oil in a kadai and add mustard urid dal and dried red chilly. When it crackles add curry leaves and add it to the pachadi.
Papaya pachadi is ready to serve. Serve it for your lunch with sambar, rasam and pulikuzhambu.
Post a Comment