Puli Milagai (Green chilly in tamarind sauce)
My mother recommends to prepare by sauteing the green chillies with little oil and grind it without any water and then add this green paste to the tamarind mixture. This method is also nice and you will get the consistency like thokku. The tangy flavour of the tamarind is blended well with the spicy green chillies and a little sweetness from the jaggery. Enjoy this tangy and spicy puli milagi with your everyday meal. Now let's see how to prepare this Puli milagai with step by step photos.
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 20 minutes
Total time : 30 minutes
Yield : 2 cups
- 20 green chillies
- 15 small onions
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp urid dal
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1 tsp powdered jaggery
- 20 curry leaves
- 3 tbsp gingelyoil
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes. Peel the onions and chop it finely. Slit the green chillies and cut it into halves. Extract the tamarind juice with 1 cup of water.
3. Now add the tamarind extract and required salt.
4. Add the turmeric powder and mix well and then leave for 10 minutes on a low flame.
5. When it gets slightly thick, add the curry leaves, asafoetida powder.
6. Mix them well and add the jaggery powder.
7. The puli milagai is done when the green chillies are well cooked in the tamarind sauce and the oil starts to separate from the sauce.