Toor dal rice is my husband's favourite dish. I learnt this recipe from my grandma. This rice really tastes well if you add the right quantity of ingredients. We have to add good amount of small onions, garlic, chillies and asafoetida. In Tirunelveli we prepare this rice for short picnic trips. If you want to add any vegetables in this rice you can add chopped bottle gourd or chopped chayote in the final stage and then pressure cook the rice. This is also one pot meal and it is easy to prepare and also protein packed rice. You can serve this rice without any veg side dishes. Vathal, vadam and appalam are the best accompaniment for this rice. A piece of dry narthangai(citron) pickle is also served with the rice. Let's see how to prepare this toor dal rice with step by step photos.
Similar Tirunelveli Lunch Recipes
- Tirunelveli Kootanchoru
- Black urid dal rice-Ulundam paruppu sadham
- Tirunelveli Sodhi
- Tirunelveli Idi Sambar
- Tirunelveli Puli Thanni Kuzhambu
- Tirunelveli Vellai Curry Kuzhambu
- Tirunelveli Puli Illa Curry
Toor dal rice with step by step photos
Prep time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 25 minutes
Total time : 40 minutes
Serves : 4
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp asafoetdia powder
- 2.75 cups water
- 2 tbsp gingelly oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For coconut paste
- 10 small onions
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp jeera
- 7 red chilly
- 2 green chilly
- 5 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urid dal
- 2 dried onion vadam or 2 tbsp chopped small onions
- 20 curry leaves
1. Wash and soak the toordal with 1/2 cup of water for 45 minutes. Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, drain the water completely. Add the soaked dal in pressure cooker and cook on low flame.
2. Grind the coconut, small onions, red chillies, green chillies, garlic and jeera.
3. Soak the tamarind in hot water.
4. When the dals are half cooked add the soaked rice and 1 cup of water. Mix it well and cook in medium flame.
5. Now extract the tamarind juice with 1 cup of water. To this extract add the ground paste.
6. Next add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and required salt. Mix it well with your hands.
7. When the rice is half done add this tamarind mixture and 1/4 cup of water to the rice. Mix them evenly.
7. Heat 2 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard, urid dal and onion vadams.
8. When they are fried well add curry leaves and add it to the rice.
Once again mix them well and close the lid. Keep on low flame and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
9. Allow the pressure to release naturally and open the cooker. Add the coconut oil and mix them gently.
If you try this recipe for Toor dal rice, send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.
திருநெல்வேலி துவரம்பருப்பு சோறு தமிழில்