Bitter gourd fry (Pan fried bitter gourds with gram flour and rice flour)
Usually cooking bitter gourd without the bitterness is really tough, but if you cook them with simple techniques you can really enjoy the dish. This dish is crisp in taste and easy to prepare. This is a very good side dish for sambar, rasam, pulikuzhambu and South Indian rice varieties. Let's see how to prepare this Bitter gourd fry with step by step photos.
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 medium bitter gourd
- 1.5 tbsp gram flour or fried gram flour
- 1.5 tbsp rice flour
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp mustard
- 1/4 tsp urid dal
- salt to taste
2. Boil 2 to 3 cups of water in a vessel and add the bitter gourd slices. When they are cooked, drain the water and allow it to cool completely.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the bittergourd slices, gram flour, rice flour, chilly powder, coriander powder and required salt. Mix them with a spoon evenly and add lemon juice to it. Keep it undisturbed for 20 minutes.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan add the mustard and urid dal. When it splutters, add the mixed bittergourd slices. Now cook them in high flame for 5 minutes and reduce it and cook until the bitter gourd starts browning.
5. Add a few drops of oil if desired. Then slowly turn the bitter gourd slices and cook them till it gets crispy.
NotesTo reduce the bitterness I have boiled the bitter gourd slices with plenty of water and it will take less time to get fried in the oil. For best results fry them in a hard iron pan.
For a perfect fried bitter gourd you have to add the correct amount of oil. Do not add too much oil then, the bitter gourd will turn soft and it won't look nice. This method is suitable for all pan fried vegetables.
If your try this recipe for Bitter gourd fry send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.