This pulav is so easy and delicious too. It's the perfect pulav for lunch boxes, potlucks and get togethers. There are so many different ways you could do this pulav, but this recipe is a healthy one with less oil. This corn pulav is from the cookbook 300 recipes for diabetes by Chef. Mallika Badrinath. I have used only corn kernels in this pulav. Add excitement to your pulav with roasted nuts or pan fried capsicum pieces or tossed paneer cubes. If you do not like the strong flavor of the saffrons then leave it. I have used spring onions for garnishing if you do not have in your hand replace it with chopped coriander leaves.
Corn Pulav with step by step photos
Prep time : 10 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Total time : 25 minutes
Serves : 4
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 2 black cardamom (optional)
- few saffron (soaked in warm water)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- small piece ginger
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
1. Wash the rice gently and soak it with 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain the water completely. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and fry the rice for a few minutes.
2. Take a chutney jar and add onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garamasala powder and coriander powder. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of water and grind it to a smooth paste. (You can also add thick curd while grinding).
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and black cardamom(optional). Allow them to crackle. Then add the thinly sliced onions.
4. Saute the onions till they become golden and add the ground paste.
5. Now add 2 cups of water. Mix well and add the required salt. Then add the rice. Cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles in low flame.
6. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Then open the cooker and gently fluff the rice. Now add the saffron water to the rice and mix it well.
7.Garnish with 2 tbsp of chopped spring onions. Serve it with onion raita and papads.
If you like this recipe send us your comments below and share the recipe for your friends and family.